Start here to learn how various industry applications are served by Chart’s industry-leading cryogenic distribution and storage products and systems. Follow the links below each description for more information on how particular product lines serve each application.
Jump to an application:
• Space Fuels - Chart's Bulk Storage and vacuum insulated pipe systems are used on launch pads delivering extremely high flow rates of liquid hydrogen and oxygen to fuel today's demanding space programs. Aerospace applications are extremely precise, requiring higher pressures and intense analysis of engineering stress and heat leak. Additionally, Chart is able to meet the precision clean requirements common to these applications.
Bulk Storage | Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP)
• Biological Storage and Research - A sufficient supply of high-quality liquid nitrogen is needed to keep valuable biological samples stored indefinitely. Any interruption in supply can result in the loss of many years of research. With the optional vacuum-insulated liquid withdrawal valve on the Perma-Cyl or bulk tank, you get a continuous supply of quality liquid to your freezer – reducing liquid losses and giving you more control. Adding telemetry to the liquid supply allows you and your gas supplier to monitor the liquid level via the Internet for added security.
Bulk Systems | MicroBulk | Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP)
Cryogenic Flow Measurement
• Flow Instruments - Flow Instruments, a division of Chart, Inc., provides flow meter systems for the cryogenic industry. These products evolve around the technologically advanced flow meter designed without moving parts for the accurate measurement of liquefied atmospheric gases, liquid carbon dioxide, liquid fuel gases, liquid hydrogen and nitrous oxide, typically used on transport trailers. Flow Instruments offers the complete meter system solution without transmitters, sensors, electronic gauges, meter sections and ticket printers. Learn more about Flow Instruments.
• HALT / HASS Reliability Testing - Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT) and Highly Accelerated Stress Screen (HASS) are used to uncover design and/or process weaknesses in the manufacturing of components such as printed circuit boards to reduce field failures and warranty claims. Chart is the technology leader in HALT / HASS chamber design (using liquid nitrogen for cooling), control systems, data acquisition, complete integrated system solutions, testing services, and consulting in the reliability testing market. With our bulk or MicroBulk liquid nitrogen storage systems and Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP), we deliver the entire engineered turnkey package.
HALT / HASS at ChartChambers.com | Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP)
• Semiconductor Manufacturing - Chart's engineered cryogenic bulk tanks are designed and manufactured to the highest quality standards to comply with the stringent requirements for the electronic grade market. Featuring the latest plumbing designs, components and technologies, our engineered bulk tanks are constructed and tested to assure installation spec and code compliance. We can also integrate process piping and Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP) seamlessly to the bulk tank for peak performance. Withour experienced engineering staff and seasoned services, let us provide the right solution from design through commissioning.
Engineered Bulk Storage | Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP)
• Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) - LNG is natural gas inliquid form and is rapidly becoming an alternative energy supply to diesel, propane and other fuel oils. In the LNG market, Chart provides all the equipment for the liquefaction, distribution, storage and fueling along with the installation, training and service necessary to keep your equipment operating at peak performance. Our custom-engineered turnkey systems approach for Liquefiers, satellite plants and fueling stations mated with the mobile fueling tanks makes Chart the preferred single-source provider for LNG equipment in the world. Learn more about Chart LNG.
• Liquefaction - With natural gas poised to overtake coal as the world's 2nd largest fuel source and Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) set to take an increased share of the oerall gas supply picture, Chart's mission critical Heat Exchanger and Cold Box products are central to the industry's development around the world. In the emerging fields of small and mid-scale liquefaction, Chart's IPSMRTM process and Engineering, Procurement, Fabrication (EPF) business model is the optimum solution for gas field monetization. Learn more about Chart's liquefaction capabilities.
• Distribution - LNG is readily transported by large trailers or Orca trucks. Because of the high compression ratio of gas to liquid of 700 to 1, transporting LNG is the most common cost effective means of mass distribution into stationary storage tanks for further distribution. This process is known as a "virtual pipeline." Learn more about Chart LNG.
• Storage System - Custom engineered bulk tanks and systems are used to store LNG in vehicle fueling stations for alternative fueling and at satellite plants for gas distribution for residential use or industry fuel consumption. Learn more about Chart LNG.
• Fueling - Vehicle fueling with LNG is a smart alternative fuel system for today's large engine fleets. The liquid storage capacity is double that of an equivalent-sized CNG system for longer hauls between refueling. Our LNG vehicle tanks integrate seamlessly with our fueling stations for safe and simple fueling operations. Learn more about Chart LNG.
Energy (Oil and Gas Production)
• Oil and Gas Production - The use of liquid nitrogen in oil field applications ranges widely from pumping liquid to high pressure gas for natural gas and oil fracking to pumping liquid for general cooling and gas purging. Chart manufactures many models of pumping truck units, semi-trailers, ISO containers and the Liquid Tube Tailer for transporting cryogenic liquids on- and off-shore. Learn more about our Mobile Equipment.
Food and Beverage
• MVE Bulk CO2 Systems - Carbon Dioxide gas is commonly used for the carbonation in fountain beverage for pH control in municipal swimming pools. The MVE bulk CO2 Carbo-Series systems provide an uninterrupted gas supply for a perfect pour every time in beverage post mix and mixed beer gas systems. For swimming pool applications, the CO2 replaces caustic muriatic acid for a safer and cleaner environment. MVE Bulk Beverage Systems also offer a bulk storage system for fountain syrup. This unique bulk system meets the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) requirements with its patented clean-in-place system. Learn more about Chart MVE Bulk CO2 Systems.
• Food and Beverage Packaging - Cryotech International, a division of Chart Inc., provides liquid nitrogen dosing systems primarily for the food and non-carbonated beverage packaging where container pressurization (shipping stability) and product preservation with nitrogen gas is beneficial. Other dosing applicatins such as dry packaging, biomedical, pharmaceutical, entertainment, aerospace, thermal testing, semiconductor and solar have adopted this unique equipment to upgrade their processes. With Chart's full product lines of Bulk, MicroBulk storage tanks and Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP), we can supply a premium turnkey solution for optimum liquid nitrogen consumption.
LN2 Dosing Systems | MicroBulk
• Food Freezing - Total system cost and efficiency is critical in cryogenic food freezing applications. Chart's superior vacuum insulation technology delivers liquid nitrogen or CO2 with more cooling capacity, using less gas per pound of frozen product. Our experience in providing the most efficient turnkey system – complete with a vacuum insulated liquid withdrawal on the bulk tank and Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP), helps maintain the lowest cost of ownership.
Bulk Systems | Vacuum Insulated Pipe (VIP)
• Purging and Blanketing - Inert purging and blanketing with nitrogen or argon gas is a common processing step in many manufacturing applications. These range from pharmaceutical to chemical to the wine industry, and they require a secure supply of gas for optimum processing results. With a dedicated Bulk Storage or MicroBulk System and optional telementry, you are assured of a continuous, oxygen-free gas supply.
Bulk Systems | MicroBulk
Healthcare / Medical
• Medical Systems
- Chart offers a wide range of storage systems and related accessories for turnkey medical systems for the liquid storage and dispensing of gaseous oxygen, nitrogen and nitrous oxide. Our experience over the years in supplying systems for hospitals, research centers and same day surgeries is demonstrated in our wide product portfolio for this market. From bulk storage tanks to Vertical Hospital Reserve (VHR) systems to Perma-Cyl vessels and manifold systems, we have your solution – whether big or small. Our engineering systems group provides all the design, codes and installation services, including training and commissioning for a smooth operation.
• Oxygen Therapy / Hyperbaric Chambers / Cryotherapy
- Medical applications have some of the most stringent gas requirements and the MicroBulk system meets these requirements with NF grade availability. Liquid oxygen for respiratory therapy is easily and safely dispensed from a Perma-Cyl into the Liberator®
and Stroller style systems to lower distribution costs. Similarly, the Perma-Cyl is an excellent solution as the main oxygen gas supply for hyperbaric chambers. NF grade nitrogen can also be supplied for gas applications to operate pneumatic surgical tools and supply liquid for medical uses such as cryotherapy. Learn more about Chart's MicroBulk
• MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) - Superconducting magnets bathed in liquid helium are the most commonly used magnets in an MRI machine. The low temperature reduces the internal resistance to zero, which reduces the electrical requirement for the system dramatically and making it much more economical to operate. Chart’s Ultra Helium Dewars are designed and built for reliable helium transport. They are thermally efficient, lightweight and maneuverable – making them the dewar of choice of lab personnel. Learn more about Chart's Packaged Gas options.
• ICP / ICP-MS (Inductively Coupled Plasma - Mass Spectrometry) and GC (Gas Chromatograph) - A continuous flow of high purity argon gas is required for ICP/ICP-MS systems to repeatedly process material samples trouble-free. With Chart’s UHP-Grade Perma-Cyl option and MicroBulk’s short delivery chain, you can be assured of getting the proper purity of argon necessary for peak equipment performance. Similarly, GC’s get the same benefits with a Perma-Cyl in nitrogen service. And with MicroBulk and telemetry, you get a continuous supply of uninterrupted gas so you never have to change cylinders or restart a sample test from a gas outage. Learn more about Chart's MicroBulk options
• MBE (Molecular Beam Epitaxy) - MBE is the method of laying down layers of materials with atomic thickness on a substrate (epitaxial growth). This is done by creating a “molecular beam” of material that impinges on the substrate in a high-quality vacuum chamber. A cryogenic screening around the substrate minimizes flux of atoms from the chamber walls. During this process, it is imperative that the liquid nitrogen supply be stable and of good quality (the right pressure and temperature) to prevent contamination of the substrate or interruption of the process. MicroBulk eliminates liquid product outages and the hassle of troubleshooting piping controls associated with liquid cylinder exchanges. When you order a Perma-Cyl built with the vacuum-insulated withdrawal, you get engineered controls designed for this demanding liquid application.
Packaged Gas | MicroBulk
Metal Fabrication / Processing
• Cutting - Laser, Oxy Fuel and Plasma
- All thermal cutting techniques utilize gases to assist in the cutting process. High-pressure nitrogen and oxygen are used as an assist gas to rapidly remove the molten metal from the cut zone or burn it away during the laser cutting process. To maintain maximum laser uptime and achieve the best cut quality, it is critical that the gas supply be uninterrupted and the required pressures and flows for the material and thickness being cut are maintained. Oxy Fuel and Plasma cutting processes have similar requirements. Only Chart offers an engineered “High-Pressure, High-flow Package” to customize your Bulk Storage System for these demanding applications.
High Pressure Systems | Bulk Storage | MicroBulk
• Heat Treating / Cryotempering / Thermal Spray - Heat treating and cryotempering processes are dependent on the quality of the nitrogen gas and liquid supply to maintain production at peak performance. With the MicroBulk system directly piped to the equipment or conveniently transported with the caster base Perma-Cyl, these applications are assured of a consistent supply of nitrogen with minimal operator intervention. In the thermal spray coating process, oxygen or argon is used at high pressure and high flows. With the Perma-Cyl VHP ZX coil option, your gas supply will exceed these requirements and provide long-term trouble-free service.
Packaged Gas | MicroBulk
• Welding - Metal fabrication uses many different welding processes for the wide range of materials, thickness and product applications. Many of these unique and specialized welding processes use inert shielding gas or the combination of gases to obtain the maximum weld quality and optimized productivity. For single gas requirements, Liquid Storage provides you with a continuous supply of quality gas. And for mixed gas applications, a mixer solution provides on-side gas blending directly from liquid storage for the most accurate mixture available and at the lowest cost.
Packaged Gas | Bulk Storage | MicroBulk
Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) Technology
• SeQual Technologies
- SeQual Technologies, a division of Chart, Inc. offers a full line of unique products for the military, industrial and commercial applications that utilize the Company’s proprietary Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) technology for the air separation of oxygen and nitrogen gas. Applications that require low flow and low purity gas without the hassles of high pressure bottles can simply plug in these devices when needed for their gas supply. Learn more about SeQual Technologies.
Water / Wastewater Treatment
• Water / Wastewater Treatment / Ozone
- The use of ozone in treating drinking water is an effective process in the reduction or elimination of odor, after taste and color. In waste water treatment, ozone minimizes excess sludge and associated removal costs. Bulk liquid oxygen provides a cost effective solution for the oxygen gas supply to the ozone generator. Chart provides a custom-engineered system complete with bulk storage, piping, controls, vaporizers, installation, training and commissioning for a one-stop turnkey solution. For small ozone applications, Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) technology from SeQual can be an affordable alternative for the oxygen supply.
| SeQual Technologies
^ Back to top