Chart assist gas solutions improve the quality and efficiency of precision laser cutting processes.
Industrial laser cutting is the process of focusing a high intensity laser beam at a sheet of metal to produce a cut. However, when narrow tolerances are required, the beam alone cannot produce a clean cut. For that, a laser must use the help of an assist gas.
Assist gas, either nitrogen or oxygen, is used to exclude regular atmospheric air and blow away the molten material. Blasting this gas at high velocity and pressure blows away the metal that has been melted by the laser. It also helps take the heat away from the metal sheet.
With oxygen, the laser power is magnified and more heat is produced. This allows for faster cutting speeds. The disadvantage is that oxidation occurs on the cutting edge and more cleanup is needed if the metal is going to be further processed.
When lasers use nitrogen for cutting, the material is melted solely by the laser power and blown out of the cut by the energy of the nitrogen gas stream. Unlike cutting with oxygen, the melt-shear removal is the only active process since inert gases do not react with the molten metal and no additional heat is generated.
For both nitrogen and oxygen, an uninterrupted delivery of high quality gas is vital.
Benefits of Using an Assist Gas
- Blows away molten metal
- Produces a clean cut
- Improves the cutting power of the laser
- Nitrogen eliminates the oxidation that can occur with the presence of oxygen
Principal Chart Solutions
Chart Laser Assist Gas Solutions eliminate the need for high pressure pumps, compressors, cylinder cradles and surge tanks in order to achieve the pressure requirements of most modern lasers. High pressure liquid storage tanks are available for operations of all sizes.
Small Volume Gas Users
- Typically 5,000 to 30,000 SCF/month of nitrogen gas
- Portable liquid cylinders
- Perma-Cyl 450 VHP and 1000 VHP
- Dura-Cyl / Euro-Cyl
- High pressure Laser-Cyl®
- Range of options including switching manifolds
Medium Volume Gas Users
- Typically 30,000 to 150,000 SCF/month of nitrogen gas usage
- Individual MicroBulk tanks in sizes from 1500 to 7000 litres
- Self-contained Microbulk ZX skids in sizes of 1500 and 3000 litres
- Eliminates cylinder exchanges
Higher Volume Gas Users
- Typically > 150,000 SCF/month of nitrogen gas usage
- Standard cryogenic bulk tanks - vertical and horizontal orientation - manufacturing locations in North America, Europe and China - international code compliance
- Trifecta® Gas Supply System
Trifecta® Gas Supply System
Through its novel two cylinder, four stroke system, Trifecta® provides the application with a continuous supply of pure gas at pressures and flows up to 550 psig and 15,000 scf/hr respectively.
Principal Features and Advantages
- Continuous operation
- Zero downtime during liquid delivery - system maintains pressure and flow when the bulk tank is filled
- Compact footprint
- Simplified installation and start-up
For full features and advantages and model specifications visit our Trifecta Laser Assist Gas Solutions page.
Orca™ VHP Delivery System
Provides the capability to fast fill tanks operating at pressures up to 500psig:
- Eliminates the need for costly and time-consuming tank blowdowns
- New pump technology facilitates faster fills without interrupting facility operations
- Greater flexibility in scheduling and more deliveries per day
Learn more about Chart's assist gas solutions for precision laser cutting
Fill out the form below and one of our specialists will contact you to determine the optimum solution for your application.